Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Starting Fresh-Healthy Smoothies!

A very Happy 2012 to all and I hope you enjoyed some time to relax over the holidays.

Since many of us tend to indulge a bit more this time of year with sweets and heavier foods, there's no time like the next few weeks to introduce a new healthy habit.  Many you are familiar with smoothies, but it may not be something you do on a regular basis. 

I know I struggle sometimes with healthy breakfasts that aren't loaded with calories.  It's like I want 'something' but can only come up with the typical breakfast foods.  Cereal, toast, eggs - I have done fruit/yogurt but I get bored with eating the same thing everyday, and will then fall into temptation at work and grab a muffin or bagel. 

I'm wanting to change that so enjoy some of these easy recipes that can use anytime of day - guilt free! (I will make in the morning and take to work too as we have a fridge, just shake before you drink) ☺

Banana/Kiwi Smoothie

1 Ripe Kiwi peeled
1 half banana (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup non-fat plain or vanilla yogurt (greek or regular)
water, juice or milk (I use rice or almond milk- original or vanilla)
I will also use some ice cubes in place of the liquid...depends on what I have on hand
Blend well.  

Mango/Raspberry Smoothie

1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1/2 cup fresh mango chopped
1/2 cup non-fat yogurt (greek or regular)
Splash of juice, milk, water or ice cubes

Blend well

Strawberry/Banana Protein Smoothie

1/2 cup fresh/frozen strawberries
1/2 banana
1/2 cup non fat yogurt (greek or regular)
2 tablespoons 'Green' protein drink
water, juice, milk or ice cubes

I use my Earth's Nutrition in most of my smoothies as this is my 'multi' vitamin as well.  Love all the B vitamins and nutrients it provides -and keeps my energy level up all day.(great for hair/skin/nails & thyroid support)  Any protein powder that you like can be substituted, but try to lean towards a 'green' supplement to add 'food' nutrients.  I will also add a tablespoon of fresh RAW honey sometimes for added nutrients.  Raw is best...regular honey on store shelf is just 'sugar' without the health benefits. Also greek yogurt tends to be higher in protein and less sugar, always a plus!

The thing to remember with these smoothies is that you are increasing your fresh food intake, thus making it very easy on your body to digest and absorb.  Great for weight conscious or meal replacement and gives you healthy energy boost all at the same time.  

Enjoy!

No comments: